Are you suffering from sleep apnea or sleep apnea-related disorders? If so, there may be causes that you can correct to help fix the problems. Sleep apnea is the result of broken or abnormal breathing patterns while you sleep. The most common forms are central sleep apnea, which is caused by broken signals being sent from your brain to your breathing muscles in your chest, and obstructive sleep apnea, which is caused by blockages of your airway as you try to sleep. Correcting and treating sleep apnea relies on understanding its causes and risk factors, including the following:
– Individuals over 40 years old are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Males are often at the greatest risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is extremely common in people who suffer from a deviated septum and other similar forms of nasal blockage or obstructions.
– Genetics can play a massive role in the presence or development of sleep apnea, especially if you have an abundant family history of it.
– Chance disorders such as allergies and sinus problems can contribute to the presence of sleep apnea.
– Various genetic defaults can increase your risk for sleep apnea, including an enlarged tongue, oversized tonsils, or even a small-sized jaw relative to your mouth.
If you would like to learn more about sleep apnea or to book a professional cleaning with Merit Dental, contact us at our dentist office in Orem, Utah. Our number is 801-375-9511. Dr. Mike Christensen and our entire team look forward to your visit.