Invisalign is a highly advanced orthodontic aligner. It is an excellent alternative to conventional metal braces as they offer several advantages and are esthetically more pleasing. Their transparent nature is what makes it impressive and is highly preferred by the younger generation.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is an orthodontic aligner that is made from dental-grade clear plastic. This allows it to stay in disguise during the treatment period, yet work its magic at moving the teeth to their desired positions. It is backed by an innovative technology that allows the dentist to precisely map out the positions of the teeth, predict their movement, and provide a digital representation of their final alignment. This gives the patients a good idea of how their teeth would look at the end of the treatment period.
Why should you get malocclusion treated?
- Malocclusion has affected the lives of millions of people from all around the world. It mainly affects the aesthetics of the smile, thereby negatively influencing the overall facial appearance.
- Due to the negative effect on facial aesthetics, a person's self-confidence would take a hit. People with malocclusion would usually feel more self-conscious and uncomfortable while socializing with people. It may also lead to frequent embarrassment.
- Misaligned teeth apply uneven forces on the jawbone and facial tissues. This can lead to pain in the teeth, soft tissues, and the TMJs as well.
- Cleaning crooked teeth can become very complicated. Despite regular and thorough brushing and flossing, a lot of microbes tend to get accumulated between the teeth. This can fuel the formation of plaque and tartar, leading to cavities.
Why should you choose Invisalign?
- Invisalign is made from a transparent plastic material. This allows the aligners to blend in with the teeth, allowing it to stay in disguise.
- The technology used for Invisalign allows the dentist to monitor the treatment process closely.
- The aligners are removable. Whenever the patient needs to brush the teeth or eat food, they can take the aligner off, carry on with the activity, clean their teeth, and put it back on.
- There is no restriction on the foods you can eat during your Invisalign treatment. You have to make sure no food particles are stuck between your teeth when you put them back on.
- Since the aligners are metal-free, the chances of sustaining an oral injury are next to none.
Before the treatment, initial screening would include a visual examination, x-rays, and oral scans to determine the teeth' exact positioning and check for any infections or conditions that could affect the treatment. A special hand-held scanner will be used to acquire the data required for fabricating the aligner. The aligners will be made in several sets, depending on the treatment period.
Initially, when you put on Invisalign, it may feel a little uncomfortable against your teeth and gums. The feeling would gradually wear off, and the teeth would be moved to their positions gently. Several sets of aligners would be used during the entire treatment period. Each aligner must be worn for 22 hours a day for two weeks. They can only be taken off when you have to eat food or brush the teeth. Once every two weeks, the old aligners will be replaced by a new set. Depending on the severity of malocclusion, the treatment period will vary between a few months to a couple of years.
Please do reach out to us on call or by scheduling an online consultation with our dental professionals, and we'll be glad to assist you further.